Monday, November 16, 2009

My Latest Project

Right around the time Chris and I got married, my grandparents sold their house in Maryland and decided to live full time on the Christmas tree farm in Virginia. It worked out great for us since it gave us a house full of furniture to pick through and fill our new home up with, however, five years later there are still things floating between family members waiting for a permanent home. My mom gave me this wall shelf when we moved claiming I had wanted it but didn't have anywhere to put it in my old house.

But I still didn't really know where to put it in the new house, so it's sat in the basement until I finally got my creative juices flowing and painted a mural down there.

Then it just made sense to use the leftover black paint, and paint the shelves too. So I sanded it down and put two good coats of black paint on it.


I cut craft paper to fit the back shelves and used modge podge to adhere them to the shelves.


Then took them outside to spray them with a coat of lacquer. It took just about the whole can for this one shelf.

Then added new hardware to the drawers and voila! I love it, and I've already got it filled with a lot of my craft supplies that were unorganized and scattered throughout my corner of the basement.

1 comment:

Juany said...

Nice job, Kim. I'll never catch up with you because you're very creative and daring. I'm finally using some reds with browns around the house, which I learned from you about 3 years ago!!