Monday, June 7, 2010

Breakfast foods

Besides coffee, which I drink all morning now that I'm home most days (although I have switched to half-caff so Chris doesn't have to pry me off the ceiling when he gets home) I've never been big on breakfast. I love food and generally enjoy eating, but I just don't really care for eggs, and sweet things like syrup, donuts, or danish make me a little ill. Trust me, I try every once in a while, like Friday afternoon when mom and I stopped at an Amish stand on the way home from Lancaster. If you had smelled those fresh cider donuts, you would have done it too.

In high school I used to skip breakfast alltogether. I'm sure part of it was a teenage girl's crazy way of cutting down on calories, but it was also because I just wasn't a fan of the options. I have since learned how unhealthy it is to skip meals and I try not to do that anymore, but there are still mornings when I think I could just be happy with my good ol' cup o' joe.

I know exactly where I get it from. A perfect example of the apple not falling far from the tree; my dad is exactly the same way. Whether it's because there's an actual gene that rejects syrup and scrambled eggs or if it's because I grew up enjoying breakfast with him when there was leftover lasagna or coconut custard pie, who can tell? But to this day I still count those as some of my favorite breakfast foods, although any cake or pie will do and pizza will take the place of mom's lasagna in a pinch.

So the morning after I turned 30 years old I thought, who says I have to act like a grownup? And I cut myself a healthy slice of leftover birthday cake to have with my first cup of coffee. And it was good!

No comments: