Thursday, April 3, 2008

I've Been Carded

Last night I finally signed up for my Gloucester County Library card! Some of you may think I’m crazy that this is considered a highlight for me, but I was really excited to finally get it. The library was one of the first buildings I saw when we began looking in Logan Township for a house. Ask Chris, I think he was in the car with me when I pointed it out to him with all the enthusiasm of an 8 year old hearing the ice cream truck turn down the street.
I know it sounds strange, but there’s always been something really soothing to me about being around books. Maybe it’s the atmosphere and how in a Library everything seems hushed, almost reverent to the literature housed inside its walls. Or maybe it’s because seeing all those books lined up, and knowing I can take any one off the shelf and experience a story just by turning the pages opens up a world of possibilities to me. I really don’t know, but I love it and it makes me smile to know I’m now a card carrying member.
It also makes Chris smile knowing I won’t be spending so much money at Barnes & Noble.

On a side note, I don’t know about you guys but that bubble-gum pink was getting to me. Unfortunately that was the closest I could find to a purple template so I’m just going to have to be named Wisteria without prominently displaying it. If anyone knows how to create your own template, let me know!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love the pic of you guys! So happy!

Juany said...

Hi Kim, I'm finally able to figure this out and make comments!! I definitely love libraries too!! My old grammar school didn't have one, so when I went to seventh grade I used to spend a lot of my recess periods inside the school library, just excited about flipping through all the books I wanted to. Also, once a month or so, a library on wheels used to come to the school and I could take out books to keep for the whole month. That was awsome, I can see myself inside that "van" type library and how great it felt. High school and then college were both a paradise, with their bigger libraries... and I'm sure Chris remembers how I loved our regular visits to the wonderful Worcester Library when we did home-school. My husband loves books and libraries too. I remember when we went on a cruise to Saint Lucia a few years ago, everybody went shopping and we had had it with the shopping! So we strayed away, walked downtown, discovered the monuments of the only two Nobel prize winners in the Caribbean, and then walked into the town library where we found information about them. We sat on that library, overlooking the town plaza through big open windows, looking at the local people come and go... trying to understand their local English.. it was quite an experience. Last year in Orlando we also stopped at the city library which was very impressive; too bad we couldn't spend a couple of hours there.
So, congratulations on being carded, in my book it's something to be proud of.