Monday, June 30, 2008

Rent!

I had a fabulous weekend as I got to visit my cousin Jenny in Maryland so we could see RENT at a The Wolf Trap Theater near where she lives, along with her, as she puts it, hopefully someday sister-in-law. This all started last summer when Jenny, her sister Pam and I went to see Wicked at the Miriam Theater in Philly which was amazing and I'd highly recommend that show to anyone. We had so much fun we decided we needed to plan to do it at least once a year. Unfortunately, Pam couldn't join us again, and Megan wasn't able to for the second time either. But I love Rent, it's my favorite show, and Jen had seen the movie and knew how much I loved it, so we just had to see it while it was in town. I am so glad we did.
The Wolf Trap Theater is a non profit, open air theater which allows you to bring outside food and beverages with you and eat on the lawn. I was completely enamored with this concept since at any venue I've been to in Philadelphia, they completely gouge their captive audience with food and beer prices. I felt like I was getting away with something as we carried our cooler full of beer and sandwiches right through the front gates. Jenny even remembered to pack pickles. We sat on the lawn, with lots of other picnickers before the show and ate our dinner, enjoying the laid back atmosphere, and the breeze that made the summer weather slightly less sticky.
Months ago when Jenny first mentioned the show, she had told me that her brother-in-law works at the theater, so we could probably get good tickets, and when we arrived he got us tickets in row F with a senior discount! So naturally, we were thrilled to have cheap seats so close to the stage. Then, not long after we had sat down and started eating, he came over, handed us new tickets and receipts for a refund for the old tickets. We were now sitting in row B, dead center, and it didn't cost a thing!!! This, of course, prompted giggly, faux-snotty remarks of how far away row F was, and how that just wouldn't have been acceptable.
The show itself was fantastic, as usual, and while the performers weren't quite as good as the cast I saw in Philly several years ago, their energy made up for what they may have lacked in talent, which still wasn't much. I soaked it all in, trying hard not to sing along to all the songs, and informed Chris on Sunday when I got home, that I have to get the soundtrack.
While I fought with the inevitable feelings of these actors not being exactly the same as the ones I remember, Collin's voice should be deeper, Angel should have more rhythm, Maureen needs to be a little more leather then denim... I was particularly impressed with the guy cast as Roger who, unlike the original Roger, sort of a grunge rocker al la Kurt Cobane, looked a little like Billy Joe from Green Day sporting guy-liner and bleached blond spiky hair. I liked the image change very much as I had never particularly found Roger attractive as the male lead, but it was this guy's voice that really blew me away. He sang with such emotion and had such vocal control I think I could have listened to him sing the entire show by himself.
Here's a you tube video here of him singing "One Song, Glory" from the show for you guys to enjoy too. And as a fun side note, we read in the program later that he won South African Idol. We thought it was funny, but unfortunately his music is a little boy band-ish, but he did do a pretty good job of keeping his accent in check during the show.
Also, the link to the Wolf Trap theater for anyone who wants to check it out, if you happen to live down there or are planning on visiting. http://www.wolf-trap.org/

No comments: