Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Words to live by

For the past few years I've been meeting with two of my closest friends to share our lives and study God's word together, and while "bible study" is a good, common term for our meetings, over the years it's turned into more than just a bible study to me. A few weeks ago on my way to Kim's house there was a huge rainbow in the sky that I couldn't take my eyes off the whole time I was driving; all the while I was praying that it'd stay till I got to Kim's and fumbling with my camera phone at red lights just in case it didn't. It stretched from one end of the sky to the other and even had a shadow rainbow that shimmered in and out of view next to it. I wasn't far from her house, and the three of us did get to enjoy it together, standing on Kim's porch taking pictures, making the neighbors wonder. What a blessing it was to start our night together with a reminder of God's promises, and such a beautiful one at that!

So we have been meeting for a while and we've studied all sorts of things, different study books, the Proverbs 31 woman, going through various books of the bible. Currently we're in the book of 1 Peter since we started in James and enjoyed it too much to stop there. Last night we were reading the fourth chapter and after reading it and discussing it for a few minutes I realized that I really needed to commit verses 7 - 11 to memory.

"The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen."

(Words in bold are mine, because those are the things I need to remember every day.)

It's really eye opening to consider the fact that if it's God's will, I may not have tomorrow. Today could be my legacy, the footprints that remain for those I left behind to remember me by. So what do people see? Did I love others despite their attitudes, serve them without grumbling, and go about my day with a grace that transcends my own flesh? Or did I leave a cloud of frustration, stubbornness, and complaint in my wake?

Unfortunately the days I let the little things get to me are not few and far between, but I'm going to be working on that.


3 comments:

Juany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juany said...

Thank you for the rainbow and the even more beautiful words... I think I'll have to talk about 1 Peter 4:7-11 today at our prayer circle at work (Wednesdays at lunch time in a classroom of our Law School)... because it's so right on with the issues we've been considering and struggling with.
I have been creating my own blog since January (as I mentioned when I last saw you, it's called "blogueando contigo") but I don't even have my first post finished... today I figured out how to add your blogs to my list. I think I'll be ready to share soon.

Kim said...

I'm looking forward to adding your blog to my list, Juany!