Thursday, August 21, 2008

Go See Juno!

I love Netflix because there's rarely a movie that I just have to see as soon as it hits theaters, and since the turn-around time from theater to video isn't that long anymore I can usually wait to get it in the mail. We also love not having to spend hours wandering around a video store trying to decide on what we want to watch, plus there's no going back out for a movie once you're already home. Although we do still have movies we got for Christmas that we haven't watched yet since we always have one from Netflix to watch, but that's another story.

Of all the movies I count on my favorite genre lists, teen pregnancy films aren't usually a movie subject I want to run right out to see, but I have heard nothing but good things about Juno ever since it became the little indie film that could. Correction, I have heard nothing but phenomenal, rave reviews for it. So after seeing or reading something last week that brought it back to my mind I checked to see where it was on our list and bumped it up to the top.

I enjoyed every minute of the hour and a half long Juno. It was a clever story, every character was dead-on; from Rainn Wilson who makes a quick cameo to Ellen Paige who's a little too witty and calm for a 16 year old, yet somehow the character still lends itself to her mature sarcasim. I laughed so hard I was literally wiping tears off my cheeks at some of the fantastic dialoge and was still touched by an ending I didn't quite expect. Just thinking about some of the great quotes makes me smile and I am going to have to own it so it can join Zoolander and The Princess Bride as my favorite movie-speak movies.

I can't remember the last time I saw such a well rounded movie with comedic elements worthy of any of my favorite Stiller or Ferrell flicks as well as dramatic elements so well played they make you feel like you're actually looking in on someone else's private moment. Needless to say I'm giving it 5 stars.


6 comments:

Juany said...

Hi Kim... I loved Juno too!! I saw it twice, and I also saw part of the directors' report with their comments about each scene.. it was very interesting. One of my favorite characters was Juno's father. I think that Juno's maturity and emotional stability was more believable because of him... he seemed wise and naive at the same time to me... a man with a good heart.

Kim said...

I agree, her dad was a good guy, I liked him a lot too. I can't wait to see it again, I've already put it on my Christmas list!

Unknown said...

"My mom uses color-safe bleach."

"Way to go, Carol!"

Adore this movie. Aside from its fantastic wit and lovable characters (how great is Bleeker?), the best thing about it for me was the way it showed adoption as a reasonable choice for pregnant teens. It didn't ignore the abortion issue, but addressed it in a real way and then immediately treated it as a non-option. My aunt teaches birthing classes and sees lots of teen mothers. So many of them are choosing to keep their babies, but just are not ready to be parents. I love that there is a good, popular flick out there now that shows it's okay to let your baby be adopted and to go on with your own life. I hope it helps more teens make better choices.

Erin Mary said...

I have been wanting to see Juno, and now I want to see it even more! Not sure what I'm waiting for!!

Jim D'Amico said...

FANTASTIC movie. Thanks for posting the trailer, now I have to go see it again. "Your parents are probably wondering where you are." "Nah - I mean I'm already pregnant so what other kind of shenanigans could I get in to." :)

Kim said...

I know! I enjoyed it way more then I expected to. I asked for it for Christmas so I can't wait to see it again.
"Next time I see that kid I'm going to punch him in the wiener!"
hahaha!