Monday, August 11, 2008

Politics, of which I know nothing about

I've never been very knowledgeable on politics and I don't tend to keep up on the issues of the candidates running for office, whatever the office may be. I've been a republican because that's what my parents are and for the most part I know my beliefs line up on the conservative side of the fence. Honestly, when it comes down to it, I am content to just pick up on things from conversations with people I trust rather then do the research myself, and my favorite statement when talking about the upcoming presidential election is "When was the last time people have voted for a candidate, rather then simply against the other candidate?" And I guess this is also my excuse for not making a point of being informed of the issues and the stances the candidates take on them. I know who I don't want as my president so I don't bother to make sure I'm making an informed decision. Also, since I am so ill-informed, I'm afraid to get caught up in someones well-written speech or column and make a bad decision based on falsified information or political double speak where I'm not understanding what's there between the lines. Whew, I'm exhausted just thinking about how dumb I am about politics.

But this article, I feel, pretty much sums up where my views lie, and it's interesting that the author says these used to be liberal beliefs until about 40 years ago.
"Why I am Not a Liberal" This is also my new favorite site for reading about the depressing options we have for president, the more I hear about Obama the more disgusted with him I become. Just check out his stance on abortion, it's not for the faint of heart. But unfortunately, McCain doesn't seem to want to take advantage of his opponent's weaknesses, so I guess I'm hoping to see a little more strength in his campaign in the coming months. The person I have been most impressed with has been Cindy McCain. But at least that's something.

No comments: